Out of Your Home
There are several steps you can take to ensure your safety when you’re away from home. Here are a few:
While out Shopping
- Keep your handbag zipped at all times – crowded shopping areas make you an easier target
- Stay alert when using your mobile. It's very easy for someone to snatch it out of your hand, or steal your personal belongings
- Be aware of your surroundings in the parking lot
- Don't leave your house keys or portable garage openers in your car in sight.
While on Holiday
- Make your home look occupied, whether it is by automatic radios on timer or automatic lighting
- Aware trusted neighbors about holiday in case of emergency
- Make sure that you lock all outside doors and windows and set your burglar alarm if you have one.
- Keep vacation announcements off social media to avoid people publicly knowing you are away for a long period of time
At a Concert
- Familiarize yourself with the layout of the venue
- Take note of where event staff or security/police officers and first aid are located
- If you see something, say something as it is better to prevent something before it is too late